Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The mystery temple!

My memories are still a little confused, but on one of these days--possibly day 3, though I'm not sure--I moved out of the Tour Club hostel and into a small little ryokan (or actually a minshukan--those are the cheap versions.) It was called Rakucho Ryokan, and was located further north than the Tour Club, past Kyoto Station. This was actually a somewhat less convenient location. However, it was still near a major subway station, and there were plenty of bus stops there as well, it being a big transportation hub, so it wasn't too bad. In addition, it was generally a pretty nice neighborhood, near a river. It was considerably more expensive--around $50 a night, for a single! But I wanted to stay somewhere that resembled the traditional Japanese style inn, and this fit the bill. It was a nice, and quite large, room.



This is a picture I took when moving out of the Tour Club hostel. It was on this tiny little street with many sketchy white vans, for some reason. It was quite nice, though, despite that. Nice and quiet at night, too.



Anyways, at some point, possible day 3, I went to... a temple... Well, it's rather embarrassing, but I have no idea which temple it is. It was located in a large park-like area with a number of other temples, it took me forever to find, and I think it was somewhat near Sanjusangendo, although I'm not sure. However, I've tried to reconstruct where I could have gone that day, but no luck! I do remember visiting the place quite clearly--but the name has completely slipped my memory. It wasn't very famous, but it was a nice place. Very quiet, and lovely grounds as you can see below.



There were some really beautiful stands of bamboo there.



I randomly wandered up to this place in the middle of a bamboo stand, and saw this beautiful little shrine. I decided that this would make the greatest picture ever, and would definitely win me a prize or something, so I took like a bajillion shots. This was the best one, but it wasn't actually that great. Still, it was a remarkably lovely place.



It was really green and nice there, and they let you go in practically every building, and wander wherever you liked. Wish I could remember what it was! I think it was in Lonely Planet; I'll try to look it up sometime.



Had some really beautiful traditional architecture... I love this picture, it looks so warm and inviting. It was a really beautiful day, as you can tell. Like I've said before, I got so lucky with the weather for this trip.



I'm pretty sure this was some random place I saw as I was walking along, but I didn't have time to stop. Again, I have no idea where it is, although presumably it's some kind of entrance gate. There's a sign, but sadly, my Japanese knowledge is not exactly up to par when it comes to reading signs.

No comments: