Sunday, May 20, 2007

Arriving in Kyoto

I came to Kyoto via Shinkansen--although it's expensive, it seemed the right thing to do. I bought a slightly discounted ticket, and came via hikari (the second fastest train.) It cost around $200 for a round trip from Tokyo. The journey itself was amazing--a miracle of efficiency. Getting on the Shinkansen is like getting on the Yamanote line. Your ticket is bigger than a normal ticket, but that's virtually the only difference. There is no baggage check, no humiliating searches, no ridiculously long lines to wait in. You just put your ticket through the ticket machine, get on the platform, and find the spot that corresponds to your reserved seat, and then you wait until your Shinkansen comes along. It is gloriously simple, and strange. Considering the length of the trip, it was the easiest trip I'd ever made.

Once on the Shinkansen, I was seated next to some unobjectionable Japanese people, and settled in. At first, it just seemed like a normal train--the speed didn't seem unusual at all. But then, I went to the bathroom, and we got out of the city. It was just a little disconcerting, because it was like this roar, combined with a strange change in pressure, like when a plane takes off (although obviously not as extreme.) But you can definitely tell, when the Shinkansen gets up to full speed.



Kyoto Station is intimidatingly huge, like an aircraft hangar (see below). You cling to the sides, via huge numbers of escalators and staircases and ramps, and it all works surprisingly well (except for the confusion about which side of the escalator to stand on). Just don't trip!



After finally making my way out of Kyoto Station, I had to go back in again to get something to eat. I went to one of the department store basements (yes, of course there department stores in Kyoto Station!) and got a delicious bento-style meal--lasagna. I ate it outside in the sunshine, near the main bus station. It had some of the longest lines I have ever seen at a bus stop in my life.

After finishing, I set off to my hostel--Tour Club. It was only a short walk away from Kyoto Station, which was very convenient for sightseeing, because you were near the main hub of transportation--there's also a subway station there, but in Kyoto, the most efficient way to get around is via bus, and this is the main bus station.

The hostel itself was very nice, actually--small, with 4 beds in a tiny room and one closet/storage space to share between the four of us. The doors didn't lock, and neither did the closet. But this is Japan, and seems to be fairly standard. There was a tiny common area, and 2 computers that you could use for a fee. It was scrupulously clean, though, and quiet. There were two showers, but I never had much problem finding one--probably because I get up early when I'm traveling.



I'll leave you with a final, beautiful image--Kyoto Tower later that night, when I decided to go to one of the huge mall/department store areas for some okonomiyaki (the hostel clerk, who was totally adorable, recommended it. And it was delicious, if expensive.) It's directly across from the main entrance out of Kyoto Station.

No comments: